Scientist (Sr. Scale) , Genetics and Plant Breeding
Email: bhojaraja[dot]naik[at]icar[dot]gov[dot]in, bhojaraja.naik[at]gmail[dot]com
Joining date in ICAR (yyyy/mm/dd) : 2012/07/02
|| Subject/ Discipline
| B. Sc. (Agri.)
|| UAS, Bangalore, Karnataka
| M. Sc. (Agri.)
|| UAS, Dharwad, Karnataka
|| Genetics and Plant Breeding
|| IARI, New Delhi
Current area of Research/Specialization: Seed quality enhancement in rice and finger millet
- Improving hybridization efficiency, seed set and development of male sterile lines for hybrid seed production in Finger millet [Eleusine coracana (L.) Gaertn]
- QTL mapping for seed vigor in rice (Oryza sativa L.)
- ICAR-Junior Research Fellowship for Master’s Degree programme
- ICAR-Senior Research Fellowship for Doctor of Philosophy
- Unravelled the floral characteristic and floral behavior of Finger millet through studies on cultivars with distinct morphological characteristics and wild relatives.
- Increased hybridization efficiency and seed set in partial male sterile line PS – 1 through foliar application of growth hormones.
- Through phenotyping of the 155 rice germplasm for seed vigour characters identified lines with high and low seed vigour and developed two recombinant inbred populations.
- Delineated the inheritance pattern of aleurone layer colour through bio-chemical tests in rice. The colour pattern with standard phenol/modified phenol, NaOH and KOH tests in F2 progenies of both the crosses showed 9:7 (complementary gene interaction) and 11:5 ratios (reciprocal dominance modification of recessive alleles), respectively.
- Characterization and identification of 155 germplasm lines of rice based on chemical test viz., Standard phenol test, Modified phenol test, NaOH test and KOH test revealed that, most of the germplasm studied were distinct from others.
| Research Papers in National / International Journals (Nos.)
| Paper presented/ abstract published
| Chapters in training manual / book (Nos.)
| Technical Bulletin / Extension folder (Nos.)
| Popular Articles (Nos.)